Fellow Residents -
Updates during the recovery process.
In our village, the following is known:
* While the Con Edison crews have depowered a number of downed lines, they are still working on the majority which remain live and you should assume that DOWNED LINES REMAIN POWERED AND LETHAL IF TOUCHED. Respect the yellow tape and steer clear of anything hanging.
* There has been no restoration of power yet. Two-thirds of the Village remains without power. The three Con Ed crews are still here, focused exclusively on de-powering the live downed lines. As of this morning, they’ve depowered Lefurgy, Jefferson, Broadway, Dorchester and are working on Kent and Cliff, They should get through many of the closed streets today. This is the necessary first step before we can begin removing the (in some cases huge) trees down in the wires, all of which has to happen before new wires are slung and power restored. The earliest we can hope the first houses to be re-powered is THURSDAY, though this will assume that new repowering crews are assigned to us, and that has not happened yet. Con Edison is not committing to a time-frame at this point. Assume a week and plan
* We are aware of the following streets closed due to downed limbs or trees, including Broadway from Villard to Main, Jefferson, Fairlane, Wilson Place, Lefurgy Terrace, Harvard, Hillside School, Kent, Cochrane, Horner, Lincoln, Overlook, Dorchester, Clinton, Croton, Stratford Lane and Zinsser Field parking lot, as well as a report that Cedar and Brandt also has downed wires and trees. We opened Hopke today and are almost finished opening up Lefurgy/Hillside school, and expect a number of streets to be opened this afternoon as the depowering allows the tree crews in.
Broadway between Villard and Main is not yet reopened because it would involve shutting down power to many people. Give us a couple of days.
* Halloween:. If your kids cannot do without trick or treating, the Police request that you accompany your children between 4PM and 6PM today.
Given the dislocation, parents better set their young charges’
expectations for a less-than-stellar payout at the doors. The optimal solution would be to fill their bag with candy (or, if you must, healthy
treats) at home and call it a day. You MUST accompany your kids.
* There is a CURFEW in place after 6:30PM, no exceptions, and a warm holding cell until parents pick you up if you violate. NO CHILDREN UNDER
19 ON STREETS after 6:30.
* It’s going to be getting colder these nights and if you are not powered, that may become an issue for the frail. Andrus has a limited number of available beds: please contact the police at 478-2344 if you need shelter. If your house is getting uncomfortably cold at night (defined as "sweaters aren't enough"), then consider alternate housing arrangements such as friends, hotels or Andrus.
* If you have a gas stove, it should still work even if the electronic sparker no longer does – hold a lit lighter or match to the burner and turn on the gas (not the other way around unless you like gas explosions).
If your hot water heater is gas-heated, it too should generally continue to work.
* If you do not have hot water, local resident Anthony Tarricone, who owns Equalize Fitness at One Odell Plaza just south of the Village on Broadway is offering free hot showers to anyone who needs it at the gym facility. Just drop by. Thanks, Anthony!
* Please DO NOT call the police with an expectation for updates on power, etc. They don't know. ONLY call with true emergencies, 478-2344.
* A&P remains closed and without power. Stores on Warburton are open and with power, including Prime Meats and the organic food store. Stop and Shop in Dobbs Ferry is open as well 7AM to 11PM. The nearest gas is available at Odell and Nepperhan.
* If you want to charge your phone, please feel free to drop them at the Municipal Building and we will accommodate as best we can. We have spotty but free wifi internet service (“3COM”). The library is open but without wifi. The High School library is also open today from 8 to 3 but I do not yet have a report that the wifi there works. If someone finds out that it does, drop me an email.
* Finally, we will have a Friday Night Live this Friday - even our conservative Chief of Police agrees that the diversion is likely to be welcome. Details will follow in my evening email.
These emails will be posted within an hour of issuance at the Community Center on the window facing out, on the bulletin board on the wall at the Municipal Building, and on the door of the library. I hope to issue one at noon and at 8PM for the next two days and then daily afterwards. Please print these out and circulate with those who are entirely out of communications.
Remember: patience, a sense of humor and resiliency, and generosity.
We're going to need a surplus of all of them in the next week. Grace under pressure is the most valued grace of all.